Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This Week

Living completely alone on the fourth floor of a dorm is an experience, I'll give you that. But it is nice not to live there entirely alone anymore.

A week and a half ago, the high school Shakespeare campers moved in. They moved into floors two and three, so I've heard them and seen them around, passed them on the main floor, and ridden the elevator with them a few times. I met a few of the counselors too, and it was nice to know I wasn't the only human being in that enormous building at night.

Then, Saturday, another intern named Leanne moved in next door to me. I didn't meet her till Sunday morning. She's just as much (or perhaps more) of a Shakespeare addict than I am, is going to be a senior at Drew University, and is interning in the Education department. We have a lot of things in common, not the least of which being a love of all things theatre and Shakespeare.

Monday night there was a meet and greet barbecue with the adults participating the "No Kidding Shakespeare Camp"--a Shakespeare camp for adults only--at Ralph Cohen's house (one of the co-founders of the ASC and the director of Two Gents). I wasn't originally going to go because I figured I would be the awkward intern the whole time, but Leanne talked me into going, so I did. It was actually a good time, and I got to meet some new people, talk with several of the campers, and have a really great conversation with Tracie (one of the actors, who plays Portia in Merchant, Alais in Lion, and Julia in Two Gents).

This week: still rehearsals, with performances of Merchant and Lion some of the evenings. It's really fascinating to watch the rehearsal process, and watch the director shape the actors' performances. I still don't feel incredibly helpful most of the time, but I do what I can. Next I'll probably share some of my thoughts and observations on the staging of Two Gents thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment